Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Chocolate Frosted Peanut Butter Bars

1 c butter softened (we use Earth Balance - it's vegan) Chocolate Frosted Peanut Butter Bars

1 1/2 c packed brown sugar 1 c sugar 1 c peanut butter 1 egg 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract 2 1/2 cups quick oats (I actually used Old Fashioned oats and it was great) 2 c all purpose GF flour (I use Bob's Red Mill baking flour) 1/4 tsp xanthum or guar gum 1 tsp baking soda 1/2 tsp salt
PB Chocolate frosting: 6 tbsp butter, softened *3 c powdered sugar *1 1/2 c Omanhene cocoa mix (*Or 4 c powdered sugar and 1/2 c baking cocoa) 1 tsp vanilla ( I think I added extra though) 4 heaping tbsp peanut butter 6-8 tbsp milk (I used cashew milk)
1. In a mixing bowl cream butter and sugars. Add I cup peanut butter, egg and vanilla; mix well. Combine oats, flour, baking soda, xanthum gum, baking soda, and salt; then add to creamed mixture. Spread into a greased 15"x10"X1" baking pan. ( I only had a 9x13, and it just had to bake about 10 min longer.)
2. Bake at 350 degrees for 13-17 (+5-10 min if using deeper glass pan) or until golden brown. Cool completely.
3. In a mixing bowl combine all frosting ingredients except peanut butter. Use just enough milk to achieve spreading consistency. (I only needed 4 tsp of the cashew milk.) mix in additional peanut butter. Spread over cooled cake layer. Cut into bars.
There is an editors' note that reduced fat peanut butter is not recommended.....bring on the calories!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment