Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Feature Product: Omanhene Cocoa Powder

Omanhene cocoa is a product that I came upon without intention of ever using it for baking.  In fact, it is a product I use in my job as a barista daily, making hot chocolates and mochas with their hot cocoa mix.  Realizing that the mix is a vegan and gluten free product drew my attention and piqued my interest in Omanhene and what other products the company has to offer. By investigating the company I found more than just products that I like, I found a company and world philosophy I can stand by.


Omanhene products available at  Omanhene.com
According to Omanhene's website  the company has adopted a "Beyond Fair Trade" policy.  "The fair trade issue is a complicated and nuanced one.  I characterize Omanhene’s efforts in Ghana as “beyond fair trade” since we are concerned with the entire value chain, not just the initial transaction involving payments to farmers.  At the end of the day, there are many paths to creating a more just and peaceful world and I support all efforts to improve the human condition."   Omanhene adapts its business practice to the fairest practices for the farmers paying prices to farmers as set by the Government of Ghana rather than fitting into the narrow spectrum of Fair Trade Co-ops. 90% of cocoa farms of Ghana are independent and fair better from government set pricing as well the additional benefits Omanhene brings with the company, such as in-country processing plants and addressing child labor issues, among others. The ethical and business practices are a part of the same with this company, and that makes me admire them all the more.

Omanhene offers world class dark and milk chocolates, hot cocoa mixes, as well as pure cocoa powder and cocoa butter for confections and baking.  I look forward to trying a variety of their products in my baking endeavors!

No comments:

Post a Comment