Friday, January 23, 2015

Simple Banana Cake Recipe

In the search for recipes there will always be some wonderful new discoveries.  My search has led me to follow a fantastic woman named Marissa on her blog Little House Living.  She has all kinds of tips for frugal living, homesteading, DIY projects,vand because of her own son's food intolerances, many recipes that I have just begun exploring.  This week I tried out her Simple Banana Cake Recipe.  I did not have to make any changes to the recipe, and it turned out wonderful!

To play with the texture a little, I plan on making this again but adding a bit of Xanthan gum to the dry ingredients.  I also plan on trying a little extra applesauce as my cake came out just a little dryer than I like (although that could be because I used one of my son's GoGo Squeez apple-banana sauce blend packs instead of straight applesauce.)





We also used a frosting recipe from Melissa's site-- the Old Fashioned Caramel Frosting.   Be careful with this recipe, I slightly overcooked the sugar and it affects the flavor.   It still was very good, but took on a more maple-like flavor.  A basic sugar frosting or a chocolate creme would also be delicious.  Perhaps a fruit-flavored mix like strawberry?  Banana cake opens a lot of flavor combination possibilities, or is completely delicious on its own!

No comments:

Post a Comment